Antonova Ol'ga Gennad'evna, Doctor of sociological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of sociological theory and history, Saratov State University named after N. G. Chernyshevsky (83 Astrakhanskaya street, Saratov, Russia), email@example.com
Zhidkov Roman Ivanovich, Postgraduate student, Saratov State University named after N. G. Chernyshevsky (83 Astrakhanskaya street, Saratov, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The problem of suicide has always attracted scientific attention – not just among sociologists, but also among scholars from other fields of knowledge. In the framework of various scientific field there are own interpretations and conceptions on the nature of the present phenomenon, and nevertheless all theoretical schemes, one way or another, reveal the social nature of suicide. The article introduces the analysis of theories and conceptions of both foreign and Russian authors, specializing in social aspects of suicide. The aim of the article is to reveal theoretical bases of studying suicide as a social phenomenon.
Materials and methods. Realization of the research tasks was achieved by the analysis of theories and conceptions of foreign and Russian researchers, who largely contributed to the study of the social nature of suicide.
Results. The research results show that theoretical bases of studying suicide as a social phenomenon are represented by scientific propositions and conclusions, obtained by foreign and Russian scientists-representatives of various scientific fields, including sociology.
Conclusions. Obtained in the framework of the conducted researches, the important theoretical propositions on the social nature of suicide are of special scientific interest from the point of view of the sociological analysis.
1. Efremov V. S. Osnovy suitsidologii [Fundamentals of suicidology]. Saint-Petersburg: Dialekt, 2004, 480 p.
2. Dyurkgeym E. Samoubiystvo:sotsiologicheskiy etyud[Suicide: sociological study].Moscow:Mysl',1994,399p.
3. Gilinskiy Ya. I. Deviantologiya: sotsiologiya prestupnosti, narkotizma, prostitutsii, samoubiystv i drugikh «otkloneniy» [Study of deviant behavior: sociology of criminal nature, drug addiction, prostitution, suicide and other “deviations”]. Saint-Petersburg, 2004.
4. Menninger K. Vlechenie smerti [Attraction to death]. Moscow: Eksmo-Press, 2000.
5. Merton R. Sotsiologiya prestupnosti (Sovremennye burzhuaznye teorii) [Sociology of criminal nature (Modern bourgeois theories)]. Moscow: Progress, 1966, pp. 299–313.
6. Shneydman E. Dusha samoubiytsy [Suicide’s soul]. Moscow: Smysl, 2001.
7. Antonova O. G., Dyl'nov D. G. Sotsial'nyy kontrol' i vozrozhdenie Rossii [Social control and revival of Russia]. Saratov: Izd-vo Saratovskogo un-ta, 1999.
8. German K. F. Izyskanie o chisle samoubiystv i ubiystv v Rossii za 1819 i 1820 gody [Inquiry on a number of suicides and homicide in Russia in 1819–1820]. Peterburg, 1923.
9. Gordon G. I. Russkaya mysl' [The Russian thought]. 1912, no. 5.
10. Prozorov L. A. Samoubiystva v Sankt-Peterburge v 1911–1912 gg. Prichiny i mery protivodeystviya [Suicides in Saint-Petersburg in 1911–1912. Reasons and countermeasures]. Saint-Petersburg, 1913.
11. Ambrumova A. G., Tikhonenko V. A. Diagnostika suitsidal'nogo povedeniya: metod. rekomendatsii [Diagnostics of suicidal behavior: guideline]. Moscow, 1983.
12. Sorokin P. A. COTsIS [Sociological research]. 2003, no. 2.
13. Gilinskiy Ya. I. Problemy bor'by s deviantnym povedeniem [Problems of struggle against deviant behaviour]. Moscow: ISAN SSSR, 1989.
14. Kosharnaya G. B., Mordisheva L. N. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Obshchestvennye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Social sciences]. 2010, no. 1, pp. 70–81.
15. Myagkov A. Yu. SOTsIS [Sociological research]. 2004, no. 3, pp. 83–92.
16. Bogoyavlenskiy D. D. SOTsIS [Sociological research]. 2002, no. 5, pp. 76–80.
17. Bogdanov S. V. Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta [Bulletin of Moscow University].2011,no.3,pp.148–157.
18. Radkevich L. A., Gul'azizova K. S., Nikolaeva I. S., Nechaev D. S., Soshinskiy I. S., Krylov E. N., Piruzyan L. A. Doklady Akademii nauk [Reports of the Academy of Sciences]. 2005, vol. 404, no. 1, pp. 117–121.
19. Puchkov P. V., Belyaeva L. S. SOTsIS [Sociological research]. 2011, no. 6, pp. 77–79.